以斯拉記 9:1-10:4 (和合本)
- 凡為以色列 神言語戰兢的，都因這被擄歸回之人所犯的罪，聚集到我這裡來，我就驚懼憂悶而坐，直到獻晚祭的時候。
- 說：「我的 神啊，我抱愧蒙羞，不敢向我 神仰面，因為我們的罪孽滅頂，我們的罪惡滔天。
- 現在耶和華我們的 神暫且施恩與我們，給我們留些逃脫的人，使我們安穩如釘子，釘在他的聖所，我們的 神好光照我們的眼目，使我們在受轄制之中稍微復興。
- 我們是奴僕，然而在受轄制之中，我們的 神仍沒有丟棄我們，在波斯王眼前向我們施恩，叫我們復興，能重建我們 神的殿，修其毀壞之處，使我們在猶大和耶路撒冷有牆垣。
- 我們的 神啊，既是如此，我們還有甚麼話可說呢？因為我們已經離棄你的命令，
- 耶和華以色列的 神啊！因你是公義的，我們這剩下的人才得逃脫，正如今日的光景。看哪！我們在你面前有罪惡，因此無人在你面前站立得住。」
- 以斯拉禱告、認罪、哭泣，俯伏在 神殿前的時候，有以色列中的男女孩童聚集到以斯拉那裡，成了大會，眾民無不
- 屬以攔的子孫、耶歇的兒子示迦尼對以斯拉說：「我們在此地娶了外邦女子為妻，干犯了我們的 神，然而以色列人還有指望。
- 現在當與我們的 神立約，休這一切的妻，離絕她們所生的，照著我主和那因神命令戰兢之人所議定的，按律法而行。
Ezra 9:1-10:4 (NIV)
- After these things had been done, the leaders came to me and said, “The people of Israel, including the priests and the Levites, have not kept themselves separate from the neighboring peoples with their detestable practices, like those of the Canaanites, Hittites, Perizzites, Jebusites, Ammonites, Moabites, Egyptians and Amorites.
- They have taken some of their daughters as wives for themselves and their sons, and have mingled the holy race with the peoples around them. And the leaders and officials have led the way in this unfaithfulness.”
- When I heard this, I tore my tunic and cloak, pulled hair from my head and beard and sat down appalled.
- Then everyone who trembled at the words of the God of Israel gathered around me because of this unfaithfulness of the exiles. And I sat there appalled until the evening sacrifice.
- Then, at the evening sacrifice, I rose from my self-abasement, with my tunic and cloak torn, and fell on my knees with my hands spread out to the Lord my God
- and prayed: “I am too ashamed and disgraced, my God, to lift up my face to you, because our sins are higher than our heads and our guilt has reached to the heavens.
- From the days of our ancestors until now, our guilt has been great. Because of our sins, we and our kings and our priests have been subjected to the sword and captivity, to pillage and humiliation at the hand of foreign kings, as it is today.
- “But now, for a brief moment, the Lord our God has been gracious in leaving us a remnant and giving us a firm place[a] in his sanctuary, and so our God gives light to our eyes and a little relief in our bondage.
- Though we are slaves, our God has not forsaken us in our bondage. He has shown us kindness in the sight of the kings of Persia: He has granted us new life to rebuild the house of our God and repair its ruins, and he has given us a wall of protection in Judah and Jerusalem.
- “But now, our God, what can we say after this? For we have forsaken the commands
- you gave through your servants the prophets when you said: ‘The land you are entering to possess is a land polluted by the corruption of its peoples. By their detestable practices they have filled it with their impurity from one end to the other.
- Therefore, do not give your daughters in marriage to their sons or take their daughters for your sons. Do not seek a treaty of friendship with them at any time, that you may be strong and eat the good things of the land and leave it to your children as an everlasting inheritance.’
- “What has happened to us is a result of our evil deeds and our great guilt, and yet, our God, you have punished us less than our sins deserved and have given us a remnant like this.
- Shall we then break your commands again and intermarry with the peoples who commit such detestable practices? Would you not be angry enough with us to destroy us, leaving us no remnant or survivor?
- Lord, the God of Israel, you are righteous! We are left this day as a remnant. Here we are before you in our guilt, though because of it not one of us can stand in your presence.”
- While Ezra was praying and confessing, weeping and throwing himself down before the house of God, a large crowd of Israelites—men, women and children—gathered around him. They too wept bitterly.
- Then Shekaniah son of Jehiel, one of the descendants of Elam, said to Ezra, “We have been unfaithful to our God by marrying foreign women from the peoples around us. But in spite of this, there is still hope for Israel.
- Now let us make a covenant before our God to send away all these women and their children, in accordance with the counsel of my lord and of those who fear the commands of our God. Let it be done according to the Law.
- Rise up; this matter is in your hands. We will support you, so take courage and do it.”